Over the last few days, and with the growing popularity of Black Friday and Cyber Monday, we’ve seen retailers offer consumers the opportunity to snap up bargains galore. Advertisements and the media have been telling us that it’s good to spend, spend, spend. But what if we took one day to demonstrate to the world how good it is to give? What if we took one day to help a cause we’re passionate about, make a new commitment to giving or volunteering, and raise awareness about the work of charities?
Giving Tuesday is a global movement to create an international day of giving. It’s a call to action for everyone who wants to give something back. First launched in the USA in 2012, this year is the first year that UK charities and businesses have joined to together to get involved.
Tomorrow – and this week – could you use your time, your money, or your voice to help a cause you really care about? Many people taking part in Giving Tuesday will be using social media to spread the word about what they’re doing to mark the day. On December 2nd 2013 there were 200,634 Tweets made using the #GivingTuesday hashtag – sharing everything from pictures of fundraising events to donations.
Here are some ideas to get you started if you’re thinking of taking part:
– Give a Gift for Life. It’s simple – choose a gift from our catalogue that will directly benefit the life of someone affected by leprosy. We have a range of gifts to suit all pockets – from educational supplies to medicines to farming tools and seeds and even a house! All gifts are directly linked to the projects where they are needed the most, meaning that every penny you spend will benefit someone disadvantaged by leprosy.
– Send a Christmas card to someone affected by leprosy. Help them know that they’re not alone this Christmas.
– Start collecting used stamps for us. Did you know that they can help transform the lives of people affected by leprosy?
– Get in touch with us and find out about our UK volunteering opportunities.
– Plan and hold a fundraising event to benefit our work. We have plenty of ideas to help you out!
– If you’ve chosen one of the above, think about taking an UNselfie! Instead of simply taking a picture of yourself and sharing it on social media, take a picture of yourself holding a sign that explains the cause you’re supporting and how you’re giving. It’s a great way to spread the word and encourage more people to join in
We hope you’ll join us in supporting this worldwide call to give something back this Tuesday.